Back to Maine for the summer. I arrived Monday morning and only just NOW saw the sun, which is a very welcome change to all the weird and creepy mist and fog that we've been having. I started babysitting already and am on my way to doing well financially this summer, I think. The nice thing about being up here is that we don't spend much money at all except on things like wine and tanks of gas. That's really all you need anyway, right? Living with mom and dad, still being a mooch...it really does have its benefits. On the other hand, I've been encountering a lot of judgy people up here. You know the type: "Oh Anna! I can't believe you're here again! My first born genius son/trilingual humanitarian daughter won't be here this summer, thanks so much for asking, he's just so busy on Wall Street/saving the world! You know how it is. But it's so nice that you're back. Oh, babysitting again this summer?! Well, stick to what you know!" Bozsdmég, is what I have to say to that. That means fuck this in Hungarian. They won't even let me explain the part where I'm here because I love it here, because it makes me sane, because I hated being in a cubicle and because I can actually make more money here. And oh wait! Because I'm moving to freaking HUNGARY in about 7 weeks! I don't know why I care. I just want people to be okay with a slightly different path in life. I am totally obsessed with my decision to move to Hungary. I think it's an awesome idea and I literally cannot wait until we get on the plane and have adventures and challenge ourselves...I just don't see what I could learn in an office that tops that. So, sorry, small community that only sees me once a year. I am going to work my ass off and pay my way through an experience and not necessarily a one stop career track.I'm seriously debating just making up little cards that I can hand out to people, as I'm so annoyed by the persistent questions and dubious faces. I guess that's obnoxious but I'm all whateverrr you guys are obnoxious! Ugh.
Silver lining: I get to live in that picture up there at the top, even if it is with some people who just don't get it. Also, through the CETP facebook group I've discovered some other great blogs by current/former CETP teachers that have made me feel a lot less alone. Check this one out. Also, Burke and I were able to speak with Jon Clark, who spent the last year in Szeged! He has a great perspective on food and culture and was kind enough to spend more than an hour with us on skype last week, filling us in on our school, our apartment, etc. It was amazing to be able to hear so much about the city and school.


Follow your own path, lady!
ReplyDeleteNo-one can determine whats best for you except you, and you only get one life to live it in :)
Stay true, I agree.. Fffuccckkkeeeemmm!!