06 November 2009

loss

Yesterday was just one of those days. I was really struggling to keep it together in my least favorite school--my seventh and eighth classes were just not having the English language. They can be so unbelievably insolent that it makes me crazy. I have no leverage because I don't really grade them, and I can neither threaten them in their native tongue nor always get my point across in English. It's bad. I'm so vastly outnumbered that I get all bent out of shape and annoyed, and I let these twerps get to me. I'm working on emotional fortitude here, but sometimes I feel very alone. Yesterday was one of those days when I would have given anything to be at home.

When I got back to my apartment, Burke had a yummy lunch waiting for me and we spent the rainy afternoon relaxing and not thinking about school for a while. Later, I talked to my mama, which usually makes me feel better about my silly problems. However, she had truly tragic news about a family friend who passed away this week. I was--and continue to be--completely undone by this. I can't explain how much I hurt for this family, who I deeply care for, and though undoubtedly my presence would do nothing, I wish I was at home. It's so hard to be so far away when something like this happens. There is nothing I can do but keep this family--and my own--in my thoughts constantly. I wish there was more that I could do. Thinking of you.

No comments:

Post a Comment